A Jewish coin (Zhytomyr Regional Museum of Culture and Traditions)
The coin of the period of the 2ndrevolt of Jews (2ndcentury).
Coin bearing Jewish signs and words dating back to 134-135. On the obverse of the coin: a palm tree in the center with the worn out Hebrew letters. On the reverse of the coin: a grape leaf with Hebrew letters around it indicating the name of the leader of the 2ndrevolt of Jews Shimon Bar-Kokhba. The archeological expedition headed by doctor Gideon Mann discovered a lot of such coins in our days in the cave near Beitar, that was a hiding place of Bar-Kokhba.
- Museum / institution
- Zhytomyr Regional Museum of Culture and Traditions
- Inventory number in the institution
- КП 20593 Н/б 9437
- Production period
- repoussage and chasing
- Religious holiday / lifecycle
- daily common use
- the beginning of II - middle of II
- Diameter (mm)
- Preservation condition
- Description of the preservation condition
- The coin is scratched, has white stains, uneven edges,small crack, blurred impression.
- no restoration needed
- Current location
- in storage